Called to Serve

"Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work ... and faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work." - D&C 4:3-5

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

4/19/2014. THE SACRAMENT IS SO IMPORTANT







---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Coffman <david.coffman@myldsmail.net>
Date: Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Subject: Re: Hola' Greetings from YOUR FAMILY - WE LOVE YOU!!
To: Janel Coffman <janelscoffman@gmail.com>, Scott Coffman <scottcoffman84010@gmail.com>

Hello family.  Well it’s another late email coming in from Merida.  Today we didn’t have time to write because yesterday we were in divisions and then I got a call and we needed to go the presidents house because he wanted us to go to his house so early in the morning so we could go to a baptism in telchaquillo a pueblito of 600 people where my comp was before coming here to this place.  It’s cool because I was involved in opening up this pueblo and sending missionaries there and now because of that, a family is closer to becoming eternal. Well after that we went down to seyba playa and we had to check out that pueblo.  It’s a little one on the beach about an hour south of campeche campeche. we saw some pretty cool birds there who were fishing it was funny because they would be flying and then do a nose dive in to the ocean and go for the fish. It makes me think of how Christ invited the apostles to be fishers of men.  That’s what I want to be all my life. Maybe I will end my mission there. It would be good there.  There were missionaries there before but they got taken out and after that happened, the church kinda disappeared in that place. 

Also today we ate venado. or deer.  I was pretty happy to eat it because it reminds me of the deer in Bountiful.  I imagine you don’t see nearly as many now that you are down in the flatlands but they sure are annoying. I tell the people here they are like the dogs in the street here in Mexico haha 

This week we did divisoins with some more elders and it went well.  I was with Elder Peterson again and he is doing well.  He was my comp in Caucel.  He´s a great guy. 

This week was kinda rough though becasue all of the less active Catholics which is like 99% of them all turned catolicos de hueso colorado. or die hard catholics and didn’t want to listen.  It was annoying because this is their holy week where they remember Jesus.  We did a lot of contacting in the busses and they asked us what we do as Mormons for semana santa. i thought about it for a bit and responded that we don’t remember the atonement just one week of the year, we do it every day of our lives as we continue to repent continuously as we are trying to become perfect in Christ the Lord. I then explained the ordinances of the Santa Cena or the Sacrament. and how important it is for people who have had a baptismal covenant.  It is so important.  I could talk forever about the Santa Cena and the atonement but all I want to say is to study D&C 84.  I forgot which verse it is but before explaining the oath and covenant of the priesthood it says something like this: the power of God is made manifest in the ordinances (such as baptisms, confirmations, ordinations to priesthood, settings apart, healing and anointments, and THE SANTA CENA) then it says that not any person can see God´s faith and live unless he has the ordinances with him. This includes the Santa Cena.  I hope you can all partake of it worthily of the Santa Cena because it is the only ordinance that we repeat for ourselves. We need to prepare ourselves for the sacrament by getting to church with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. We need to repent well before partaking of the sacrament. We need to get to sacrament meeting early and not late as many are accustomed to do.  I invite all of you at home to remember the Savior in these moments. It’s a challenge that my first seminary teacher gave me.  It was that we all would only think of the Savior during the moments of the Santa Cena and nothing else. Try it. It will make it aloto powerful for you. try and read the hymns or just meditate. That is what I do.  As we partake of the sacrament weekly, it will be easier and easier to remember the Savior in every decision we make in the week which will help us to keep our baptismal covenant.

I really enjoy the letters from the bishop in the ward.  It makes me wish there were bishops and wards like the ones we have there in Utah as the ones we have here.

Well it is pretty late and I am kinda tired because it was a long day but I just wanted you guys to know all is well and I  bought another hammock. Well I love you guys and hope you have a great week. Happy Easter.  Remember the atonement.

love you guys




---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Coffman <david.coffman@myldsmail.net>
Date: Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: 4/12/2014. Elder David Coffman Missionary Update
To: Janel Coffman <janelscoffman@gmail.com>

This is for Brock and if yáll want to join in as the say here in México, adelante! haha well Brock I am glad that you have such a strong testimony of the gospel. I have a strong one too and I know that one of the best ways to strengthen our testimonies is to share it. So I challenge you to share the gospel with someone this week. It will bring a lot of joy to your life. Ii also challenge you to start studying Preach my Gospel. It will help you to share the gospel. That book is the second most perfect book in the world only after the Book of Mormon. Read Elder Ballard’s talks from this conference and the conference of October of last year. That’s my homework assignment for you guys. I love you lots and hope you have a good day or week 



No comments: