Called to Serve

"Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work ... and faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work." - D&C 4:3-5

Thursday, March 1, 2012

MINERAL WELLS, TEXAS 2/10/12 - 2/14/12

Elder Coffman's letters are a bit out of order, so the previous post actually occurred AFTER this information. This is his first letter sent from the field -- Mineral Wells, Texas, part of the Fort Worth Mission.



Hi family! I arrived at TX just fine! Hopefully you got the email from the president with the picture!! I really like it here. I’m in a town called Mineral Wells. I will be leaving to another town on Tuesday called Weatherford. It will be hard to leave this area because I already feel attached! We have had some really good lessons so far. I had my first contact right out the airport! It was crazy, but fun. I then went to the mission president’s wife’s house and we had pancakes and homemade syrup! It was great! Then we went out to Mineral wells.
My comp’s name is elder Hansen. He is from Idaho. He is my trainer. Oh yeah I almost forgot to tell you. I remember how much I love BBQ food here! We are going to have brisket here tomorrow and I’m so excited! That’s one of the reasons I love the summer I’m just so excited to get good BBQ food! And I had totally forgotten about it while I was in the MTC. The first night we had a really good lesson with a less active member who hasn’t been to church for a year. He spoke Spanish, but liked English better and my companion doesn’t speak Spanish (I have been teaching him a little Spanish though) so we just taught him in English. He said he didn’t know what it was we said, but we made it so he would go to church Sunday and loved it!  It was so exciting.
I’ve had so many good experiences. So far I’ve only been out for a couple of days. It’s so much better out here because they are real people and I love making their lives better. The area is really poor though. Most houses are welfare and are either run down shacks, trailers, or little houses. The people are really nice though. I love it out here. I still can’t wait to see Mexico though. It’ll be hard to leave, because I already feel so attached, but I know I’ll love it in Mexico too.
My p-days are on Monday, but in Mineral Wells the library is closed on Monday so I won’t be able to email until next week in Weatherford. I almost had a chance to go to Arlington in which there are a ton of different churches out here. It’s like the same amount of church buildings as Utah, except all of them are different faiths. Some of them are just different faiths because they are on different streets. Like the South Side Church of Christ and the Sixth Avenue Church of Christ.  Apparently they hate each other and are going to have a war someday even though they are the same religion. It’s crazy ha ha! Well, I love all you guys and I will email you next week.  I can’t check email until then, so I won’t know what you sent me. What is Daddy’s email address? Oh yeah and it snowed out here! I never thought I would see it but it did.
Well, adios!
PS, I think I’m kind of getting a TX accent yawl ha-ha the funniest hearing Mexicans with TX accents - but I’m getting one!
Adios

No comments: