Called to Serve

"Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work ... and faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work." - D&C 4:3-5

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

WEATHERFORD TEXAS ... AT LEAST FOR A FEW DAYS

Elder Coffman arrived in TX on 2/10/12. He was assigned to Mineral Wells for about six days and then moved to Weatherford. He will serve in Arlington starting 2/21 and remain there until his visa is ready. Letters can be sent to the mission home address in the previous post and they will forward to him if he leaves before the Monday mail deliveries.




Monday, 2/20/12 – Weatherford, TX

First, my preparation day is Monday. Thanks for the package, that was really nice of you!!  And thanks for being so kind.  My address for my house is going to change.  I am in Weatherford until tomorrow and then I think I am going to Arlington where the Cowboy’s stadium is, but I don’t know if I will be able to see it.  In Arlington, I am going to wait for my visa.  And I can call when I go to the airport.  Well, I don’t have any idea when I’ll do it, but I will call!  I’m sorry about my handwriting – I don’t like writing, but I am not going to write a lot.  I like Texas, but I think Mexico will be better.  Right now my companions are really good Spanish speakers.  It is a little hard for me because they speak a lot in the lessons, but I am still learning.  And I have made a goal: I am going to memorize a scripture every day in my mission.  Elder Collins told me President Monson said if you do it, you will have a photographic memory.  I have already memorized Isaiah 1:18, Moroni 7:45-47, 3 Nephi 5:13, Alma 32:21, Alma 41:10 and right now I am learning John 3:16-17.  I love the scriptures and I know that when I have them memorized, the Spirit is going to help me when I teach investigators.

Mother, last week, I was in Mineral Wells, where there are a lot of cowboys that wear cowboy boots and cowboy hats.  I have seen many bulls with long horns and I want to eat them! I have only eaten brisket one time.  But all the food I have eaten is really good.  Good luck with your phlebotomy class.  I pray for you every night (: and thanks for the package again.  I love you.

Daddy, thanks for the update on the wrestling.  Good job to all the wrestlers.  And also, I don’t know if they have a hot sauce that is hotter than Texas Pete, but my companion was a chef in Florida and he can cook really well so I will ask him.  That’s too bad with the Corry’s.  I will pray for them.  The translation of my last letter was really good.  Tell Cameron I am very happy with his decision to serve a mission.  And where is Matt Parrish going?  Well, I love you.

Hermanito, I have a companion that is just like you!  He loves Latin girls, Spanish and everything.  He speaks so good that he can lie to the Mexicans and say he is a Mexican from Mexico City :) many jajaja and I am trying to speak Spanish all the time, but it is a little hard.  But my companions can talk very well and I am learning a lot every day.  I love the Mexicans.  They are super buenos.  And I am learning a lot of slang jaja and I am going to write Alma also.  It seems like I have forgotten something I wanted to say, but I cannot remember it.  Well…all is well jaja

Michelle, I am sorry for not writing you more.  But I had a good appointment Saturday.  My companions and I were teaching a woman and her friend and I received an idea from the Spirit to share Enos 12:6 because she had many problems with her husband and she thought that since she was going to get baptized in like a week that she should be getting good blessings, but, after hearing that scripture, she knew that God still loves her.  I know God loves us and everything He does is for His work and glory.  Everything He does is for our good.  Sometimes, we think a Church standard is dumb, or not fun, but remember what Alma 42:10 says, wickedness never was happiness.  You can tell this to your girlfriends when they don’t want to choose the right.  Well, I love you.

Familia, I am sorry if I don’t write good letters, but I am trying.  And I am sorry if this letter is missing anything or if I didn’t answer any of your questions.  Please pray for missionary work all of the time.  Not only for me, but for every missionary.  Well, I love you.

With love,

Élder Coffman



1 comment:

EmpoweredWendy said...

Dang! Nice tie! Looks A LOT like one of the 30 I sent you and Elder Hill! Maybe your Ma and I just have the same taste! Have you sen Elder Hill recently? He is in Arlington as well. The Mexico City mission President cannot take any missionaries until the 27th, not sure when Elder Hill will actually leave. Maybe you two will be Compadres again!