Called to Serve

"Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work ... and faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work." - D&C 4:3-5

Monday, October 21, 2013

10/21/2013. HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY and A BREAK-IN




The Hermana Garcia made some cupcakes for my b-day and Elder Taylor gave me a pillow and tie.  The other elder is Elder Taylor Jaussie.  It was a pretty good b-day.



 

"B-day cake someone gave me."  10/16/2013.




Elder Coffman at his apartment right after coming home and finding it broken into.  10/18/2013.

 


Apartment window that was broken into.  10/18/2013.

 


"They probably should have taken the bom...but they only took the unvaluable stuff.  All the books and folletos we have were untouched haha."  10/18/2013.



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Coffman <david.coffman@myldsmail.net>
Date: Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Subject:
To: Janel Coffman <janelscoffman@gmail.com>, Scott Coffman <scottcoffman84010@gmail.com>

 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where amoth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal;

 20 But lay up for yourselves atreasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.

 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

this scripture took a whole new meaning for me this week. because this week our house was broken into. we got home at night and everything was thrown out and at first a thought we were just being pigs but then we turned on teh lights and someone had ripped the metal window protectors out of our walls and broken in through the windows. they didnt take much....just my camera  and all my fotos.......mother alert  mother alert mar mar mar mar......haha jk but he took a dvd player the mission gives us, my ipod and the speaker and some other little things like that it just helps me to rememer that what Jesus said is true. things we getin the world are corruptible and stealable. if that is a word and it doesnt matter if we get them. we need to get treasures ofthe heavens with us. now we might wonder how do we do that. well i think it has to do with 2 things. 1 is to learn more about the Gospel and the life of Jesus Christ so that our testimonies are strengthened and 2 is to serve otheres. we wished they would have taken some book of mormons but they didn{t haha there loss i guess. but there were some other things i learned from this incident. one was that we should do the following



43 And behold it is written also, that thou shalt love thy neighbor and hate thine enemy;

44 But behold I say unto you, love your aenemies, bless them that curse you, do bgood to them that hate you, and cpray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father who is in heaven; for he maketh his sun to rise aon the evil and on the good.

46 Therefore those things which were of old time, which were under the law, in me are all afulfilled.

47 aOld things are done away, and all things have become bnew.

48 Therefore I would that ye should be aperfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.

so after we got home we said a prayer for the guy who robbed us and asked that he could use the things he stole to be able to provide for his family if that is why he stole it. more likely he  used it to buy drugs, but i liketo think the best of people and i know it s not good to judge so i hope he had some hungry kids at home that got a good meal haha but even so i prayed that he could listen to the inspriatino music on the ipod and feel the spirit and get converted someday haha also i learned that he need the stuff more than i did and that we should turn the other cheek as Jesus taught that if someone steals something from us, we should give him other things we have as well so we are not going to repair the window so that more people can break in and take the rest of our stuff.......haha jk. well i also learned that the most important thing over aall is the Gospel and the family because i was really relieved when i saw that he hadn’t touched my foto album of you guys. i love you guys very much.

so other than all that with the robbers, things were pretty good this week. we had to go into the offices a lot this week so we lost some time to work which i dont like at all but i guess its just something ya gotta do. while i was in the offices i watched some mormon messages. they are really powerful. you guys should watch them. i learneda lot from them.



this last week was good for my bday. i originally was just gonna to not tell anyone so we could stay focused, but my comp was the old secretary so he knows all the bdays and they surprised me with a tie that is in the other pic i will send. it was nice. i usually am not that big of a bday guy but my companino and elder taylor made it pretty nice haha.i wasreally grateful for that. also a family that has someone in it  that we helped baptize gave me a piece of cake. it was good. i am realy gratful for all the love that the people show me out here. i always tell people that they kinda convert into my family when they ask me if i miss mine.



but anyways, its kinda weird to think that its my last one i have since you usually have 2 on a missino but since i was home i didnt have one last year out her in yucatan. well also i got the card that last monday. i hadnt gone for the mail yet so dont worry i got the card. thanks for all the stuff everyone wrote it was pretty cool and i liked the card a lot. i love you guys a lot



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Coffman <david.coffman@myldsmail.net>
Date: 2013/10/21
Subject: Re: Letter For David
To: Janel Coffman <janelscoffman@gmail.com>

que potente hermanito. pues me gusta este historia mucho. me encantan las palabras de los profetas. pues te amo mucho y gracias por darme este historia. creo que podemos aplicarlo en todos los aspectos pero espeicalmente en la obRA MISONAL porque a veces nos preocupamos mas por los numeros que logramos que las personas que ayudamos. gracias por decir esto. eres una inspiracino par mi adios hermanito y suerte con la escuela



con carino elder coffman



(Elder Coffman’s translated message):

that powerful brother. I like this story as much. I love the words of the prophets. because I love you very much and thank you for giving me this story. I think we can apply it in all aspects but in the work espeicalmente MISONAL because sometimes we care more about the numbers that we get the people we help. thanks for saying this. are a pair inspiracino my brother goodbye and good luck with school



elder fondly coffman



Janel’s Note:  Stephen came down from Utah State to visit for part of the weekend, he spent most of his time in the service of others.  I included Stephen's Message to David this week which David replied to above as I was touched when reading it and wanted to share:



Hello brother ! Happy Birthday for Wednesday. Well, I've been learning a lot more important as it is a quote from President Monson - "Never let a problem that has to be solved become more important than the person who has to love."

Two days ago, this quote made ​​me mourn - was a confirmation of a question I had. The quote is true and that day I decided to make a sacrifice to help someone , and it was well worth all the pain . I could not do all the work I wanted to do this weekend , but I helped several people to smile - in our family and beyond .

Now I think so - there are two people who could have become - one was someone who would have finished the task he had planned to do. After all, it is good to do your homework and be smart .

The other person is someone who has not completed the task, but that it has been an influence in the laughter of a grandmother, a mother's confidence, the love of a father, and has been the reason why a girl smiled and considered important. Well, I have become the second person, and gladly accept the consequences. c:

I love you brother !

Fox

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Elder Coffman-
David I'm so glad you had a fun 21st birthday!
I'm so sorry that you and had a break-in to your apartment! I'm glad you and your companion, Elder Jaussie are safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with you always.
Love Always,
Mother xo xo